This web site is dedicated solely to current JC Parks Youth Sports Officials or Umpires for our Tee-Ball/Coach-Pitch league.
These are beginning umpires who are less experienced.
They are typically high-school or college students.
You will find everything you need to register and keep you informed on this web site.
Tee-Ball/Coach-Pitch Umpire Chart
JC Parks League
$15-$20 per hour
Experience is preferred, but not required.
provided by umpire
- Steve Schellman
- Program Manager of Youth Sports
- (573) 634-6493
- All Umpires must be at least 16 years of age.
How to Apply:
- Umpires will apply online typically in Feb. and March.
- Selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.
- If offered the position, you will be required to complete an Employee Packet.
Pay Rates (per hour):
$15: Beginner, with little to no experience.
- $16: Beginner, with 1 year of JC Parks experience.
- $17: Experienced, with at least 1 year of recent similar experience.
- $18: Experienced, with at least 1 year of JC Parks experience or 2-3 years of similar experience.
- $19: Experienced, with at least 1 year of JC Parks experience or 3-5 years of similar experience.
- Umpires will provide:
- Collared shirt.
- Light Blue, Navy, or Black.
- Pants/slacks are preferred, but shorts are acceptable.
- No ball pants or jeans.
- Hat is optional.
- Since this is Tee-Ball/Coach-Pitch, umpires will not need a face mask, chest protector, or shin guards.
- Ball bag/pouch & plate brush is optional.
- JC Parks will provide a Ball/Strike Indicator & Timer.
- If you need to borrow anything, email Steve.
Ball Field Info:
- Click here for ball field locations and details.
- Provide a safe, fun, and enjoyable experience for the kids in our community.
- Keep the health & safety of all involved the #1 priority (keep helmets on, stay behind the fence, etc.)
- Report problems with coaches, parents, players, fans, or anyone to Steve.
- Be ready to go by the first game of the season.
- Be reliable. Keep your commitments.
- Be punctual. If you’re on time, you’re late.
- Be at the park 30 minutes early to set up.
- Be on the field at least 15 minutes before the start time.
- Represent JC parks well, it is a partnership.
- Be a pro, even though it is a very tough job at times.
- Seek certification & professional development.
- 1st Aide & CPR training available.
- Follow park rules: no profanity, smoking, tobacco, alcohol, etc.
- Conservative use of game balls.
- Foul balls go back to the umpire.
- 1 at each complex each night, except at North Jeff.
- At North Jeff, you are the Facility Supervisor too.
- They are there to help you with anything (injuries, ejections, COVID-19 guidelines, etc.)
- They will unlock the gates, flip on lights, and supervise all activities.
- Check in with them as soon as you arrive.
- They will give you:
- Game balls:
- 1 new and 1 used for each team, each game. We provide all game balls, not the teams.
- Spray bottle with sanitizer for game balls, place behind home plate.
- Please read these very carefully.
- You must help with compliance.
- Use your good judgment.
- No concessions at North Jeff.
- At other fields, it is $1 off all drinks.
- Food discount is TBD
- Through TeamSideline:
- Log in or create an account then go to Officials Management > Assignments.
- Will show date, time, league, division, teams, location, etc.
- Shows 1 assignment per game.
- Green check = accept (must do so immediately, if you don't within 5 days it will auto-reject).
- Red X = reject (Steve will get an email, will assign to someone else or offer it to the group on GroupMe).
- Once you accept, then it will move to Confirmed Assignments.
- TeamSideline has a TeamSideline Officials app for your cell phone too (not to be confused with the regular TeamSideline app).
- You will get a reminder email from TeamSideline 12 hours before each assignment.
- Steve will try to text you to confirm your assignment every morning.
- See link to the Tee-Ball/Coach-Pitch web site in chart at top of this page.
- 2020 Tee-Ball/Coach-Pitch Leage Rules Summary.
- League games are every night except Saturday.
- Who: Everyone is welcome, but strongly recommended for all new and less-experienced umpires.
- Veteran Umpires Rick Petty & Keith Townsend will host.
- What: agenda includes umpire mechanics, positions, calls, signals, professionalism, communication terms, handling conflicts, etc.
- When: Wed. May 27 from 6:00-7:30 PM at Optimist Sports Complex on Vogel Field (2000 Optimist Court)
- RSVP: Please RSVP to Steve.
- Weather: In case of rain, Steve will notify everyone via GroupMe if we change locations to The Linc (1299 Lafayette St.)
- Paid: You will be paid your hourly rate to attend, so $15-$20 per hour.
- For mass communications quickly and easily.
- Primary means of group communication.
- Steve will use GroupMe to inform you of cancellations, etc.
- Please only send messages that apply to the entire group. Do not send unnecessary messages. Otherwise, we get so many texts that they start to lose our attention.
- You can Direct Message anyone in the group if you need to chat individually instead of sending a message to all. Just click on the group avatar (picture of the umpire) > Members > select the member > Send direct message.
- If you need to contact Steve individually, please use his cell phone.
- Once you have been added to the group, please send a quick reply. If you don’t reply within 48 hours GroupMe will automatically remove you from the group. It works best if you download the free GroupMe app to your phone but you can also just get direct texts.
- Will email you a copy or you can complete a paper form at The Linc.
- Due every 2 weeks on the following Fridays by 5:00 PM.
- 5/29, 6/12, 6/26, 7/10, 7/24, & 8/7.
- Do not be late or you will have to wait another 2 weeks to get paid.
- Get paid via direct deposit every 2 weeks on the Friday after timesheets are due.
- 6/5, 6/19, 7/3, 7/17, 7/31, & 8/14.
JC Parks Offices at The Linc:
- 1299 Lafayette St.
- Limited hours right now:
- Mon-Thur: 5 am - 1 PM; 4 - 8 PM (facility closed for cleaning 1 - 4 pm)
- Fri: 5 am - 1 pm; 4 - 7 pm (facility closed for cleaning 1 - 4 pm)
- Sat: 7 am - 12 pm
- Sun: 10 am - 2 pm
- You are invaluable, we couldn't do it without you.
- We are looking forward to working with you.
- We will support you.
- Thanks for all you do.
- Have fun.
- Call a great game.